Tuesday, September 28, 2010

KING OF THE KUPERS

Kupers are not the race of turtle-like creatures that co-exist with the toads that inhabit the Mushroom Kingdom, that would be the Koopas. But if there were a race of east coast hyper intelligent, political minded illustrators, then Peter Kuper would be King.

My Nostalgia September continues with one of my all time favorites, Peter Kuper! It was The System that I first found of his that fit in with my young, anarchistic minded restlessness that needed someone like Peter to put pictures to the thoughts in my head. If you're a fan of WW2 propaganda art then you'll love Kuper's dreamy, angular stoicism that resonates a hyper sense of reality though this isn't propaganda to keep you locked in this is art to set you free. The System was a mind blowing find in my twilight teenage years, the catalyst for a revolution I wanted desperately. This book contains all stencil art, a menagerie of the downtrodden and super rich fat cats, drug smugglers, the energy and class warfare of the big city all done without words. The kinetic flow of the System still holds up today against comics too wordy for their own good. I highly doubt you'll find Princess Peach in his clutches but Peter Kuper is still king in my book!

To find out more about Peter Kuper check out his website:
http://www.peterkuper.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment